The goals of the Maternal Mortality Review Committee are to:
- Perform thorough record abstraction in order to obtain details of events and issues leading up to a mother’s death.
- Perform a multidisciplinary review of cases to gain a holistic understanding of the issues.
- Determine the annual number of maternal deaths related to pregnancy (pregnancy related mortality).
- Identify trends and risk factors among pregnancy related death in Kansas.
- Recommend improvements to care at the individual, provider, and system levels with the potential for reducing or preventing future events.
- Prioritize findings and recommendations to guide development of effective preventive measures
- Recommend actionable strategies for prevention and intervention.
- Disseminate the findings and recommendations to a broad array of individuals and organizations.
- Promote the translation of findings and recommendations into quality improvement actions at all levels.